It has been a while since I evaluated files from Silhouette Design Store. I use many of them in my Halloween Brag book that I can talk about but maybe another time: Today I will look at two 3D projects from Snapdragon Snippets. here is a little about why I made them in the first place:
My daughters’ university professor was very kind and reopened a set of quizzes. This would make a huge difference in my daughters’ final mark. Well, we wanted to make something for her and decided since this professor loves medieval times we would make a castle or a horse. Looking on the Silhouette Design Store the file from Snapdragon Snippets was a great fit.
Castle and Horse were both the same difficulty level to assemble so I will rate them together. These were fun and of medium difficulty to assemble. The only downside is that the gift card did not fit in either of the finished products.
The projects got an overall score of 39 out of 48.
The total time was about 90 minutes.
Most importantly, the question is, would I make this again?colour
Is this project versatile? No
2 different color cardstock:
- Castle: light beige, brown cardstock
- Horse Dark gray and light gray Cardstock
TIP: As always I filled in the pieces with the same color as the paper I will use as it helps to keep me organized.
To cut all the pieces, and to fold the score lines took about 20 minutes for the castle and 20 min for the Horse, another 15 minutes to glue. Give yourself 90 minutes to complete for the first time.
There are amazingly detailed tutorial links on The Silhouette Design Store to the designers’ website:
This project can be done by older kids with guidance. My 12-year-old nephew worked on the knight mostly by himself but needed some guidance from me for a few tricky pieces. (attaching the head shaper and reins)
Both files cost $1.99 each from The Silhouette Design Store Other PROJECT TYPE for medieval horses range from free to $12 and up and the castle from $.99 and up on the silhouette design store but were not suited for my needs.
Step by step Review: based on the 8 points that seem to capture what a crafter would want to know.
- Price of downloading the file
- Free to $.99
- $.99 to $2.99
- $2.99 to $4.99
- $4.99 to $6. 99
- $6.99 to $8.99
- $8.99 0r more
This file was $1.99 a score of 5 out of 6.
- Open file
- Layout, when opened, was super simple and I knew what to do
- Looked at the layout and was confused so visited blog, video, website
- Looked at the file, had no idea what I was seeing, no information to be found to help!
Looked at the layout and was confused so visited blog, video, website. there were lots of pieces and it helped to identify them on the designers’ blog, then color them in. This got a 4 out of 6 for open file category.
- Cutting the file
- Had no difficulties cutting this file
- Had some difficulties cutting this file
- Had tons of headache cutting this file
Had no difficulties cutting this file “cutting the file” step gets a 6 out of 6
- Easy to construct?
- so easy a young kid can do this
- medium difficulty if you and not too crafty you can still achieve a good result
- Hard: you need to really know what you are doing and have been crafting most of your life.
Medium difficulty if you and not too crafty you can still achieve a good result I give this a medium difficulty rating of 4 out of 6.
- Needed extra items
- I had to add extra items to finish this project for example string, grommets, rhinestones etc.
- I could add if I wanted to.
- did not have to add anything other than the paper
I had to add extra items to finish this project for example string, grommets, rhinestones etc.” a 2 out of 6: Needed grommets for both projects. and reins for the horse.
- Finished product
- looked exactly like the photo online
- sort of looked the same
- No Way did this turn out the same.
Looked exactly like the photo online. This gets a 6 out of 6
- Recommend the file/ designer
- I would recommend this file and designer to anyone
- I would not recommend the file or designer to anyone
- I would recommend the file
- I would recommend the designer
I will recommend this file and designer to anyone: 6 out of 6.
- The overall cost for the project was
- Under $5.00
- Under $10
- Over $10
I give “the overall cost for the project” a 6 out of 6 since it was under $5.00 to complete this project:
- 1 sheet of 8.5 in x 11 in dark gray, light gray, light brown or beige, dark brown Cardstock paper
- scrap piece black for windows of the castle and behind horses eyes. 2in. x 2 in.
- My Silhouette CAMEO® machine.
My overall score for this project is 39 out of 48.
On behalf of Not So Clever People