Short post ( and a free file). There is a birthday party happening this Thursday. My niece mentioned that 8 friends are coming over to her house for a sleepover camping party. In our conversation we spoke about the cake and activities and of course what will be in the loot bag etc. I could not resist mentioning the smores box I saw on The Silhouette Design Store as it was just the perfect addition.
This was a really simple project that my 10 year old niece did on her own. I purchased the file for $0.99, picked the colours for the paper, and proceeded to cut it all out. There are lots of extra pieces that you don’t need to use if you don’t want to like the acetate cover for the window of the box. When cutting the little camp fire tag, I had to rely on my colouring of the piece for cutting. There is no tutorial but once cut this is a simple craft.
Here is the finished smores box and the little tent I made as a decoration that is the free file today. There are a few tents to buy on the Silhouette Design Store but I think it is not worth the money:
Project got an overall score of 45 out of 48. This score is because there is no tutorial, I did not bother looking on the designers website as it was so easy to assemble. The project also lost marks because the pieces where a little mixed up for the campfire. The total time was about 10 minutes. The last mark taken off was because you need to add brads to keep the lid closed. You could also add string. Of course you can glue it all shut then the score is 46/48
Most importantly, the question is, would I make this again? Yes
Is this project versatile?this box can be used for so many different gift giving opportunities.
6 different colour cardstock, Glue.Silhouette CAMEO® ribbon if you like. The pieces were few and easy to layout on the mat. TIP: As always I filled in the pieces with the same colour as the paper I will use as it helps to keep me organized. This also really helped when figuring out with of the pieces belonged to the camp fire.
To cut all the pieces , and to fold the score lines took about 5 minutes, another 5 minutes to glue.Give yourself an 10 minutes to complete for the first time.
There were no tutorial links on The Silhouette Design Store I followed the photo and it turned out great. This project can be done by younger kids with guidance.
Step by step Review: based on the 8 points that seem to capture what a crafter would want to know.
- Price of downloading the file
- Free to $.99
- $.99 to $2.99
- $2.99 to $4.99
- $4.99 to $6. 99
- $6.99 to $8.99
- $8.99 0r more
This file was $0.99 a score of 6 out of 6 either way
- Open file
- Layout when opened was super simple and I knew what to do
- Looked at layout and was confused so visited blog, video, website
- Looked at file, had no idea what I was seeing, no information to be found to help!
Layout when opened was super simple and I knew what to do but the campfire file was a bit confusing . This got a 5 out of 6 for open file category.
- Cutting the file
- Had no difficulties cutting this file
- Had some difficulties cutting this file
- Had tons of headache cutting this file
Had no difficulties cutting this file “cutting the file” step gets a 6 out of 6
- Easy to construct?
- so easy a young kid can do this
- medium difficulty if you and not too crafty you can still achieve a good result
- Hard: you need to really know what you are doing and have been crafting most of your life.
So easy a young kid can do this: No instruction except for the photo as a guide. BUT no tutorial so lost points … I give this a easy rating of 5 out of 6.
- Needed extra items
- I had to add extra items to finish this project for example string, grommets, rhinestones etc.
- I could add if I wanted to.
- did not have to add anything other than the paper
I added a brads to keep the handles closed. “I had to add extra items to finish this project for example string, grommets, rhinestones etc.” a 5 out of 6
- Finished product
- looked exactly like the photo online
- sort of looked the same
- No Way did this turn out the same.
Looked exactly like the photo online even though the photo is a bit fuzzy . This gets a 6 out of 6
- Recommend the file/ designer
- I would recommend this file and designer to anyone
- I would not recommend the file or designer to anyone
- I would recommend the file
- I would recommend the designer
I will (always) recommend this file and designer to anyone and give it a 6 out of 6.
- The overall cost for the project was
- Under $5.00
- Under $10
- Over $10
I give “the overall cost for the project” a 6 out of 6 since it was under $5.00 to complete this project:
- 1 sheet of 8.5 in x 11 in dark green Recollections Cardstock
- 1 sheet 8.5 in. x 11 in. lighter green Recollections Cardstock
- Scrap red, beige, brown, orange Recollections Cardstock
- 2 brads
- My Silhouette CAMEO® machine.
My over all score for this project is 45 out of 48.
On behalf of Not So Clever People
Below is the free file.
I added a window for the side , a curtain roll that ties up, and a frame for the window. The belly band is also modified so that the “stitching is more visible.