Well not quite a circus train! This train is from Snapdragon Snippets, and a beautifully detailed train it is, just not the typical circus train. This is a 3 piece train set, the first piece is the engine design ID #70973. I am making this in blues, white and black colours for the Baby Shower and will try to add elements of the circus to it to see how it will all work. For now lets evaluate this project.
The file has many pieces all which are labeled in the file when you open it.
I recommend colouring in the pieces. There is a photo tutorial so bonus.
Here is my ideal layout for cutting some of the main pieces out of 8.5 in. x 11 in. cardstock.
I am not the most clever, so it took me quite a few minutes to figure out positioning of some of the pieces. This was especially true when constructing the train base box and lid. Look at the photos carefully for orientation.
My finished project:
TRAIN 3D BOX ENGINE by Snapdragon Snippets Design ID #70973
Project got an overall score of 37 out of 48. The total time was about 2 hours for cutting and assembly.
Most importantly, the question is,
would I make this again? Yes but give myself lots of time
Is this project versatile? no.
- 4 different colour cardstock,
- Silhouette CAMEO®
Lots of pieces in this file, the labeling helped identify when reading the tutorial.
TIP: As always I filled in the pieces with the same colour as the paper I will use as it helps to keep me organized.
This file was $1.99 from The Silhouette Design Store . Other PROJECT TYPE on The Silhouette Design Store range from $.99 to $1.99 so this project was at the higher range .
When I looked for SVG files to buy on the web, I Googled 3d trains svg and found
cre8tive cuts had a train for $4.99
digiplayground had on for $6.50
Not so clever people on Pinterest
Step by step Review: based on the 8 points that seem to capture what a crafter would want to know.
- Price of downloading the file
- Free to $.99
- $.99 to $2.99
- $2.99 to $4.99
- $4.99 to $6. 99
- $6.99 to $8.99
- $8.99 0r more
This file was $1.99 a score of 5 out of 6 either way
- Open file
- Layout when opened was super simple and I knew what to do
- Looked at layout and was confused so visited blog, video, website
- Looked at file, had no idea what I was seeing, no information to be found to help!
Looked at layout and was confused so visited blog, video, website, so although everything was labeled, I did need to read the tutorial to know what to do. This got a 4 out of 6 for open file category.
- Cutting the file
- Had no difficulties cutting this file
- Had some difficulties cutting this file
- Had tons of headache cutting this file
Had no difficulties cutting this file “cutting the file” step gets a 6 out of 6
- Easy to construct?
- so easy a young kid can do this
- medium difficulty if you and not too crafty you can still achieve a good result
- Hard: you need to really know what you are doing and have been crafting most of your life.
Hard: you need to really know what you are doing and have been crafting most of your life. The tutorial has language that if you are an occasional crafter, you would need to really think about what it all means. I give this a easy rating of 2 out of 6.
- Needed extra items
- I had to add extra items to finish this project for example string, grommets, rhinestones etc.
- I could add if I wanted to.
- did not have to add anything other than the paper
“I had to add extra items to finish this project for example string, grommets, rhinestones etc.” I had to add brads so this get a 2 out of 6
- Finished product
- looked exactly like the photo online
- sort of looked the same
- No Way did this turn out the same.
Looked exactly like the photo online, except for my colour choice . This gets a 6 out of 6
- Recommend the file/ designer
- I would recommend this file and designer to anyone
- I would not recommend the file or designer to anyone
- I would recommend the file
- I would recommend the designer
I will recommend this file and designer to anyone , this is because of the detail and perfect fit of all the pieces that are designed. I love this designer and although there are other simplified trains, Snapdragon Snippets really has quality files. and give it a 6 out of 6.
- The overall cost for the project was
- Under $5.00
- Under $10
- Over $10
I give “the overall cost for the project” a 6 out of 6 since it was under $5.00 to complete this project:
- 3 sheet of 8.5 in x 11 in black Cardstock paper
- 1 sheet 8.5 in. x 11 in. each of white, light blue and dark blue cardstock
- My Silhouette CAMEO® machine.
My over all score for this project is 37 out of 48.
On behalf of Not So Clever People