I know, I know… just how many Carousels can one person make for a party???
Well I have all these files I purchased on The Silhouette Design Store and I wanted to see how best to use them in the Baby Shower party: decorations, favour boxes, prizes, games ( like that first carousel I made a few posts back that will be used for “guess the weight”) .
This particular item is not a box so it is strictly a deco piece unless I stick in on top of a box!
Here is how the file opens:
Here are the files laid out on the mat for cutting, Missed a little blue piece…. hehehe:
Here is my finished project:
This project got an overall score of 38 out of 48. This is the lowest I have scored a project so far, but that is because I am getting tougher with the marking. I still love this file and designer.
The total time was about 2.5 hours. It took so long, mainly because I used a shiny gold paper – got inspired when I looked at the tutorial and gold was mentioned…wished I did not. Trying to stick down those gold shiny tabs was a nightmare! The thin blue strips did not meet around the bottom of the Carousel so I had to improvise and OH MY GOD! cut by hand! I know! when was the last time I did that?
Most importantly, the question is, would I make this again? Yes. This time I will use plain old kraft paper or brown cardstock.
Is this project versatile? You could mount it on a round box, use the horses on cards or stick on a box, on a straw or bottle for decoration.
Materials used: 4 different colour cardstock: cardstock, wooden dowels painted white since I did not have lollipop sticks, Glue.Silhouette CAMEO®
The pieces where easy to layout, grouped and coloured in. Very organized designer. The blog post tutorial which is difficult to find when you click the link on The Silhouette Design store, is a photo walkthrough of how to assemble the carousel. Again, hold down the glue tabs.
Take your time, let stuff dry. Not suited for young children. Purchased for $1.99 from The Silhouette Design Store. Other PROJECT TYPE range from $1.99 to $0.99 and FREE so this project was in line with comparable files to buy but the free file I evaluated a couple of blogs past, is just as cute.
Check out Not SO Clever People on Pinterest where I have some carousels pinned. Also check out my past posts on Carousels for links to files to purchase.
Step by step Review: based on the 8 points that seem to capture what a crafter would want to know to buy this file.
- Price of downloading the file
- Free to $.99
- $.99 to $2.99
- $2.99 to $4.99
- $4.99 to $6. 99
- $6.99 to $8.99
- $8.99 0r more
This file was $1.99 , as I mentioned, there is a free file that is as cute so I am going to get super hard with my marking and this gets taken down to the next level a score of 4 out of 6
- Open file
- Layout when opened was super simple and I knew what to do
- Looked at layout and was confused so visited blog, video, website
- Looked at file, had no idea what I was seeing, no information to be found to help!
Layout when opened was super simple and I knew what to do. It was already coloured in so bonus. This got a 6 out of 6 for open file category.
- Cutting the file
- Had no difficulties cutting this file
- Had some difficulties cutting this file
- Had tons of headache cutting this file
Had no difficulties cutting this file “cutting the file” step gets a 6 out of 6. Note my gold shiny paper did have difficulties cutting and it took longer than it should but that’s on me.
- Easy to construct?
- so easy a young kid can do this
- medium difficulty if you and not too crafty you can still achieve a good result
- Hard: you need to really know what you are doing and have been crafting most of your life.
Medium difficulty if you and not too crafty you can still achieve a good result.But, I am subtracting marks for the link on The Silhouette Store not linking to tutorial directly. I give this a rating of 2 out of 6.
- Needed extra items
- I had to add extra items to finish this project for example string, grommets, rhinestones etc.
- I could add if I wanted to.
- did not have to add anything other than the paper
“I had to add extra items to finish this project for example string, grommets, rhinestones etc.” In this case wooden dowels painted white. a score 2 out of 6
- Finished product
- looked exactly like the photo online
- sort of looked the same
- No Way did this turn out the same.
Looked exactly like the photo online if I had not used gold LOL. This gets a 6 out of 6
- Recommend the file/ designer
- I would recommend this file and designer to anyone
- I would not recommend the file or designer to anyone
- I would recommend the file
- I would recommend the designer
I will recommend this file and designer to anyone and give it a 6 out of 6.
- The overall cost for the project was
- Under $5.00
- Under $10
- Over $10
I give “the overall cost for the project” a 6 out of 6 since it was under $5.00 to complete this project:
- 4 sheet of 11 in x 13 in shiny gold Cardstock paper
- 1 sheet of 8 in x 11.5in blue cardstock
- 1 sheet of 8 in x 11.5in pink cardstock
- 1 sheet of 12 in x 12 in cream cardstock
- My Silhouette CAMEO® machine.
My over all score for this project is 38 out of 48.
On behalf of Not So Clever People