A few posts back, I mentioned that I will be organizing a baby shower party and will evaluate all the items I make for this event. I am starting with this carousel horse on The Silhouette Design Store by Samantha Walker Design ID #49865.
I was going to use the box to hold party favours, but the description that I just read says it hold 3 cupcakes, so a little too big as it stands (7 inch diameter). The theme of the party, as you may guess from the design, is a Circus, so I am thinking we will use this box to hold cookies or cupcakes, and have people guess the weight for one of the baby shower games. I also just saw on Pinterest someone is using this as a decoration for cupcakes and not as a box.
Here is the original
Here is my finished project
Here it is with a 50% reduction
Project got an overall score of 43 out of 48. The total time was about 50 minutes
Most importantly, the question is, would I make this again? Yes and I am going to try and make this project half the size and see how it turns out. Will also do one without the coloured backing.
Is this project versatile? Samantha Walker has a few ideas for variations of the box for different occasions, so YES, it is versatile. Plus I would use the Carousel horses on other projects like scrapbooking and cards. AND now I will use as a decoration not as a box as seen on Pinterest.
9 different colour cardstock: White, Red, Brown, Light Blue, Dark Blue, Green, Orange, Dark pink, and Purple cardstock Tombow® Glue.Silhouette CAMEO®
The pieces were easy to layout on the mat. I had to cut the horses twice as only 3 are drawn of the 6, the saddle 5 more times, the coloured pieces twice, and, the tail and mane 5 more times.
TIP: As always I filled in the pieces with the same colour as the paper I will use as it helps to keep me organized.
To arrange the pieces on the mat, cut all the pieces, and to fold the score lines took about 20 minutes, another 30 minutes to glue. Give yourself an 50 to 1 hour to complete for the first time. I need to add that I am a little slow the first time I make a new project so it may be faster for you.
Where did I mess up: When it came to gluing down every thing, I was like a machine on an assembly line…. but be warned….don’t get ahead of yourself like I did . I glued the horse mane down before the saddle and have to peel it off and re-stick. I also messed up a little when gluing the red scalloped edges on to the tent edges. I was not exact in matching it all up, and the hole for the ribbon got a little covered …not too much so I left it as it was.
Tutorial links on The Silhouette Design Store to the designers blog for this Box I followed the photo and written instructions, and it turned out great.
I don’t recommend that this project be done by younger kids unless they are good with following instructions, and steady with glueing the pieces on just perfect. This file was $1.99 from The Silhouette Design Store but I did buy it when on sale for $1.74. Other PROJECT TYPE range from $.99 and up so this project is a reasonable price, even when not on sale.
When I looked for SVG files to buy on the web, I Googled “paper carousel box” and found
Cre8tive Cutz $.99
Pinterest with lots of boxes to explore
Other places for Carousel boxes
SVG Cuts $6.99
Not SO Clever People on Pinterest where I have a collection of boxes pined.
Step by step Review: based on the 8 points that seem to capture what a crafter would want to know.
Price of downloading the file
- Free to $.99
- $.99 to $2.99
- $2.99 to $4.99
- $4.99 to $6. 99
- $6.99 to $8.99
- $8.99 0r more
This file was $1.99 a score of 5 out of 6 either way
- Layout when opened was super simple and I knew what to do
- Looked at layout and was confused so visited blog, video, website
- Looked at file, had no idea what I was seeing, no information to be found to help!
Layout when opened was super simple and I knew what to do. As always I coloured in the pieces to keep me organized. This got a 6 out of 6 for open file category.
Cutting the file
- Had no difficulties cutting this file
- Had some difficulties cutting this file
- Had tons of headache cutting this file
Had no difficulties cutting this file BUT the pieces where not at full complement so you needed to think of a minute, look at photo or blog tutorial to know how many pieces to cut. “cutting the file” step gets a 5 out of 6
Easy to construct?
- so easy a young kid can do this
- medium difficulty if you and not too crafty you can still achieve a good result
- Hard: you need to really know what you are doing and have been crafting most of your life.
Medium difficulty if you and not too crafty you can still achieve a good result: Instructions were on the Blog, photos need to be updated as it was a mixture of 2 different tutorials and the colours were off for a few photos. I give this a medium rating of 4 out of 6.
Needed extra items
- I had to add extra items to finish this project for example string, grommets, rhinestones etc.
- I could add if I wanted to.
- did not have to add anything other than the paper
I added a piece of ribbon to hold the top of the box closed. “I had to add extra items to finish this project for example string, grommets, rhinestones etc.” a 5 out of 6
- Finished product
- looked exactly like the photo online
- sort of looked the same
- No Way did this turn out the same.
Looked exactly like the photo online, except for the use of different colour paper at the back of each horse and the ribbon used . This gets a 6 out of 6
- Recommend the file/ designer
- I would recommend this file and designer to anyone
- I would not recommend the file or designer to anyone
- I would recommend the file
- I would recommend the designer
I will recommend this file and designer to anyone and give it a 6 out of 6.
- The overall cost for the project was
- Under $5.00
- Under $10
- Over $10
I give “the overall cost for the project” a 6 out of 6 since it was under $5.00 to complete this project:
- 1 and a half sheet of 8.5 in x 11 in red Cardstock paper
- 2 sheet 12 in. x 12 in. white cardstock
- 1/8 scrap pieces of cardstock I had in my collection: Light Blue, Dark Blue, Green, Orange, Dark pink, and Purple
- scrap piece brown 4 in. x 6 in.
- Tombow® Glue
- My Silhouette CAMEO® machine.
My over all score for this project is 43 out of 48.
On behalf of Not So Clever People