I love to scrapbook and we have regular Friday night gatherings to scrapbook at my home. Typically we search up on Pinterest what layouts we like and then use it as a guide for our next page. Choosing the paper, fonts, quotes, cutting it all out ’till your hands cramp…thats half the fun. Right? This has worked well until we had a newbie join us. The choices of what paper, what design , how to layer items, what embellishments to use….. OVERWHELMING!
So I found a few layouts and made them into digital cut files and now one is on Etsy. This is a great way to start scrapbooking and get a beautiful layout. I am going to evaluate this file like any other and try to keep an objective view.
Made 2 scrapbook pages using Instant Download Baby Scrapbook Layout:Digital Cut files for scrapbook layout and wall art
This project got an overall score of 42 out of 48. The total time to cut was about 10 minutes there where 3 different colours to lay out on the cutting mat and 2 items for print and cut.The laying out of the different colour paper was not fussy with little pieces but full 12 in. x 12 in. or 8.5 in. x 11 in.
The files are downloaded in a zip format and when unzipped the cut files are grouped according to the colour of paper to cut from. This will work well for a simple layout but if you want to change up the colour scheme, then you will need to merge the files to keep them all on one screen where you can see everything.
To assemble the project once the pieces were cut took 10 minutes and to stick everything down took another 15 minute. If you are a beginner the sticking process can go way slower so give yourself a good 40 minutes to assemble the 2 pages.There were no really small pieces to lose track of other than the dot of the “i” in the word “girl”
The project is laid out according to colour and cut style since I found that files I like using have been laid out in this manner and it makes it a no brainer for me when I am rushed.
Once you have the files organized and cut, this project can be done by younger kids as the rest of the work is glue or two sided tape. The only pieces that can be tricky are the two embellishments “Love” and “Forever” that have a thin edge and that means glue can get very messy on you fingers.
The cost was average and was not a great steal or very expensive when compared to files in The Silhouette Design store that range from $.99 to $1.99 . When compared to files to buy on the web, there were many layouts pre-cut that can be shipped to you and could be a$20 and up. There were many free options when you search scrapbook layout but none that will just let you download the cut file and get it done fast!
This layout can be used for multiple subjects not just Baby Boy or Girl. It can be valentines, best friends, family etc. the paper colours and quotes are all changeable.
- Use 12 in. x 12 in. Cardstock uncut for the bottom layer. I used gray but any colour will work.
- The digital shapes are filled with the colour and grouped accordingly but fill with the colour you will be using to keep it all organized.
- This layout was also used for a teen layout with daughter and mum and said “My Girl” with a handwritten note on the journal card
Other places for Scrapbook layout
Not SO Clever People on Pinterest where I have pinned some box related files.
Step by step Review : based on the 8 points that seem to capture what a crafter would want to know.
1. Price of downloading the file
- Free to $.99
- $.99 to $2.99
- $2.99 to $4.99
- $4.99 to $6. 99
- $6.99 to $8.99
- $8.99 0r more
This file for the 2 page spread cost $2.
I would give the “price of downloading the file ” a grade of 5 (from 1 to 6)
2. Open file
- Layout when opened was super simple and I knew what to do
- Looked at layout and was confused so visited blog, video, website
- Looked at file, had no idea what I was seeing, no information to be found to help!
The layout was in 4 different files.
- The heart and circle both pages to cut in white.
- The “Today” and “Blessed” journal card with quote to print and cut in another file,
- the matting for the words and photos in another file
- The words “my” “girl” “baby”and “boy”to be cut in white
I would give the “open file” step a grade of 4 out of 6 because there are so many files to open
3. Cutting the file
- Had no difficulties cutting this file
- Had some difficulties cutting this file
- Had tons of headache cutting this file
The 12 in. x 12 in. heart and circle cut in a minute and when I put it on top of the dark gray I just loved the look. The letters and matting were next. The white letters needed smooth paper as they were a bit narrow and delicate (my blade was dull) . The blue-green matting all cut smoothly. The print and cut I went with a brown kraft paper look and really liked the quote, font and overall look.
Used 2 sheets of 12 in. x 12 in. white paper . 1 sheet of 12 in. x 12 in. blue green. 1 sheet 8.5 in. x 11 in. white and 1/2 sheet brown kraft paper 8.5 in. x 11 in.
I would give “cutting the file” step a 5 out of 6
4. Easy to construct?
- so easy a young kid can do this
- medium difficulty if you and not too crafty you can still achieve a good result
- Hard: you need to really know what you are doing and have been crafting most of your life.
This is a really easy project a newbie can do it. cut and glue. follow the photo if you really want or get creative with colours and extra pieces
I would rate the “easy to construct” step as a 6 out of 6.
5. Needed extra items
- I had to add extra items to finish this project for example string, grommets, rhinestones etc.
- I could add if I wanted to.
- did not have to add anything other than the paper
I added 1 sheet 12 in. x 12 in. dark gray cardstock, Rhinestones, photos and 2 sided tape and glue.
I rate this step “needed extra items” a 6 out of 6
6. Finished product
- looked exactly like the photo online
- sort of looked the same
- No Way did this turn out the same.
I love it and it looks like the photo on the silhouette blog without the extra embellishments of colourful hearts. Plus I added the second page with Baby, journal card “blessed” and embellishment “forever”
I give “Finished product” a 6 out of 6
7. Recommend the file/ designer
- I would recommend this file and designer to anyone
- I would not recommend the file or designer to anyone
- I would recommend the file
- I would recommend the designer
I would recommend this file and me, the designer, and it is a great file for when you just don’t have the energy to do all your own cutting and arranging.
I give this “Recommend the file/designer” step a 6 out of 6.
8. The overall cost for the project was
- Under $5.00
- Under $10
- Over $10
I give “the overall cost for the project” a 4 out of 6
It was under $10.00 to complete this project:
- 2 sheets of 12in x 12 in white Cardstock paper
- 1 sheet of 12in x 12 in dark gray Cardstock paper
- 1 sheet of 12in x 12 in blue-green Cardstock paper
- 1 sheet 8.5 in. x 11 in. white cardstock
- 1/2 sheet 8.5 in. x 11 in. kraft paper cardstock
- $2 to download from Etsy
- My Silhouette CAMEO® machine.
My over all score for this project is out 45 of 48.
On behalf of Not So Clever People
Free cameo3 cutting file “Blessed”