It seems that my biggest problem is deciding which of the 600 odd files in my library I actually want to test out. The decision was made for me today when I realized that I needed a little something extra for a birthday gift and the person is a HUGE Harry Potter fan.
BOOK OF SPELLS 3D GIFT CARD BOX by Snapdragon Snippets Design ID #68133 was chosen since it looks like it could be from Harry Potter.
Review : based on the 8 points that seem to capture what a crafter would want to know.
1. Price of downloading the file
- Free to $.99
- $.99 to $2.99
- $2.99 to $4.99
- $4.99 to $6. 99
- $6.99 to $8.99
- $8.99 0r more
This file is $.99 to download A lot of the gift card 3d books were $1.99 there were some for $.99 so I would say this is a pretty good price.
So I would give the “price of downloading the file ” a grade of 6 (from 1 to 6)
2. Open file
- Layout when opened was super simple and I knew what to do
- Looked at layout and was confused so visited blog, video, website
- Looked at file, had no idea what I was seeing, no information to be found to help!
Layout when opened could look complicated if you are a newbie to crafting. Looking at the Photo of the completed project helps a little. Lucky for us, there is a step by step walkthrough of assembling the project. It was still a little bit of a challenge for me but I took my time and it went well.
I would give the “open file” step a grade of 4 out of 6
3. Cutting the file
- Had no difficulties cutting this file
- Had some difficulties cutting this file
- Had tons of headache cutting this file
I “ungrouped” the file for cutting, but it needed to be “ungrouped” twice. On the upside, all the perforated lines stayed connected to the shapes and I could move the individual shapes around on the screen for cutting.
TIP: I find it really helps to colour the files the same as the paper I am using . I also laid it ball out exactly like the file in Silhouette to help keep me organized.
I did need to change paper for the different pieces so and used a total of 4 different colours. It took time to cut all the different pieces, and I cut the embellishments twice as suggested by the designer.
I would give “cutting the file” step a 3 out of 6
4. Easy to construct?
- so easy a young kid can do this
- medium difficulty if you and not too crafty you can still achieve a good result
- Hard: you need to really know what you are doing and have been crafting most of your life.
This is a medium difficulty and even if you are not too crafty you can still achieve great results.It does take a time to put this book together. Keep a close eye on the small cut out letters as I lost mine a few times.
I would rate the “easy to construct” step as a 3 out of 6.
5. Needed extra items
- I had to add extra items to finish this project for example string, grommets, rhinestones etc.
- I could add if I wanted to.
- did not have to add anything other than the paper
Had to use paper and glue a wire ring to hold the “key” and then I realized the “lock” had no way to stay closed so I used a small brass fastener.
I rate this step “needed extra items” a 5 out of 6
6. Finished product
- looked exactly like the photo online
- sort of looked the same
- No Way did this turn out the same.
Although my paper was different from what was used, the book looks amazing, I love it and so did the recipient who as I mentioned is a HUGE Harry Potter Fan. She said that it was the best gift for her Birthday!
I give “Finished product” a 6 out of 6
7. Recommend the file/ designer
- I would recommend this file and designer to anyone
- I would not recommend the file or designer to anyone
- I would recommend the file
- I would recommend the designer
I would recommend this file and designer to someone who is good at following written instructions and not afraid of a slight challenge.
I give this “Recommend the file/designer” step a 6 out of 6.
8. The overall cost for the project was
- Under $5.00
- Under $10
- Over $10
I give “the overall cost for the project” a 6 a out of 6
as it was under $5.00 to complete this project:
- 4 sheets of 8.5 in x 11 in (21.5 cm x 27.9 cm) different shades of brown and beige Cardstock paper I had at home and at $5.00 a pack for 50 that is just 10 cents a sheet.
- $.99 to download from The Silhouette Design Store
- My Silhouette CAMEO® machine.
My over all score for this project is 39 out of 48.
I am going to make one of these for myself. I loved how this little box looked, and fit together with one section fitting into the other perfectly when closed. I looked at other books and “spell” books, none fit together as well and were a little ordinary.The design was very well thought out and having 2 layers of the embellishments made the book look authentic. The second time I make something it always goes so much faster, so who knows, I may end up making an entire library for myself.
On behalf of Not So Clever People